How the Module Works:
This module provides a systematic approach to completing a quality improvement initiative in the primary care practice setting.
A brief overview of each phase required to complete the module is listed below. You can review details on how the module works, including a sample PDF of each module stage so you can see exactly what you will be asked to complete before you even get started.Get Started!
Pre Assessment Phase
- Practice Assessment: In this section, you will be asked to answer questions that provide insight into your practice’s care delivery, decision support, and clinical information systems.
- Staff Survey: (clinical) (non-clinical) You will be asked to survey your non-physician staff about their role in the practice and the delivery of care.
- Patient Data Collection: You will select ten patient charts to use for data collection. You will then learn how to enter pre-assessment patient data by answering a series of questions designed to capture information specific to the evidence-based performance measures.
- Interpretation of Results: Once you have completed entering the required data, results for each measure (i.e. baseline data) will be displayed. This information will guide you in selecting the pathway you’d like to follow and choosing the intervention(s) that best helps you improve care processes in your practice.
- Selection of a Pathway and Practice Interventions: In this section, you will use what you’ve learned from your baseline data to select a pathway to focus on. Within each pathway are two to three interventions to choose from. You will select a minimum of one intervention to implement in your practice.
- Implementation of your Intervention: You will use your intervention for a period of at least three and no more than 12 months, after which you will come back to this module and enter post-assessment data.
Post-Assessment Phase (Re-measurement)
- Note: this phase can only be completed after an implementation period of at least three and no more than 12 months.
- Practice Assessment: This step will include the same series of questions from the pre-assessment phase, designed to provide insight into your practice’s delivery, decision support, and clinical information systems.
- Patient Data Collection: You will use the same criteria you used at the beginning of the module to select ten patient charts and answer a series of questions designed to capture information specific to the evidence-based performance measures.
- Interpretation of Results and Evaluation of the Program: You will be given pre-and post-assessment measurement results. These results will compare your practice to your peers. You will also complete an evaluation of the overall program and module experience.